AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, The HUB, Seattle, WA; UW HUB, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Bebb and Jones, Architects (firm); Jones and Bindon, Architects (firm); Perkins and Will, Architects (firm); Skanska Construction (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Leonard William Bindon (architect); John Paul Jones (architect); B. Jeffrey Stebar (architect); Henrik Valle (building contractor)

Dates: constructed 1948-1949

University District, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

The Husky Union Building opened in 10/1949, a mixed-use facility housing offices, study rooms, hair salon, assembly spaces, an auditorium, retail stores, restaurants, and other entertainment functions. The basement housed a bowling alley, a sport that peaked in interest during the immediate post-war era, and lounges were sprinkled throughout all floors. It has been altered several times as student needs and interests have shifted. The original architectural firm was Bindon and Wright, who completed the first phase in 1949. Bindon and Wright was a meat-and-potatoes Seattle firm that produced mainstream Modern buildings. It was perhaps best known for its Seattle Public Library, Main Library #2 (1960), done in collaboration with Decker and Christenson.

The HUB had a reinforced steel and concrete frame.

An addition to the building in 1952 made the building twice its original size; In 1959 and 1962, there were small additions; Another expansion to the HUB occurred in 1975-1977, when the East Ballroom, Upper Husky Den, and South Husky Den were added; in Fall 2007, the architectural firm of Perkins + Will created a new master plan for the HUB. B. Jeffrey Stebar served as Principal-in-Charge of this master plan project. The HUB was set to close on 07/01/2010 for a two-year renovation and scheduled to reopen in Fall 2012. Commemorative celebrations occurred throughout the building during the five-day 05/20/2010 to 05/25/2010 span. During the two-year renovation, most offices and services in the HUB were relocated to the campus surge building, Condon Hall #2, beginning on 06/14/2010. During this large-scale renovation, the UW Capital Projects Office sought a LEED Gold Rating for the HUB. The renovation was set to install a water-to-water heat pump system in the building to conserve energy. Much of the 1975-1977 reinforced concrete addition (on the building's south side) was removed in 09-10/2010. Demolition of various parts of the HUB continued into late 02/2011, before the project's construction phases could begin. Paul Zuchowski, Associate Director of Student Activities and Union Facilities, supervised this 2010-2012 renovation for the University of Washington. Skanska Construction served as the Building Contractor for this huge reconstruction project. The HUB reopened following this total renovation on 09/10/2012.

PCAD id: 8718