AKA: VIII Winter Olympic Games, Main Arena, Squaw Valley, CA

Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures - arenas; built works - recreation areas and structures - sports complexes

Designers: Brunnier, H.J. , Associates, Structural Engineers (firm); Corlett and Spackman, Architects (firm); Kitchen and Hunt, Architects (firm); Henry John Brunnier Sr. (structural engineer); William G. Corlett III (architect); Frank Bouldin Hunt (architect); Robert Sieber Kitchen (architect); John M. Sardis (structural engineer); Wendell Ross Spackman (architect)

Dates: constructed 1958-1960

total floor area: 67,200 sq. ft.

Squaw Valley, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

This huge gable-roofed building had its two sides supported by steel cables held up by backstayed masts. The architects Corlett and Spackman and Kitchen and Hunt created a chalet-style, peaked roof to shed the heavy snow that Squaw Valley regularly receives. This mammoth chalet had a maximum height of 85 feet and roughly 67,200-square-feet of interior space. Three sides of the building were enclosed and the fourth was glazed allowing views of the nearby ski jump hill. 8,000 spectators could fill the arena. Structural engineers were H.J. Brunnier and John Sardis, while the metal contractor was the Harold E. Peterson Company, Incorporated. Diversified Builders, Incorporated was the main General Contractor for the 1960 Squaw Valley Games.

PCAD id: 8367