Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Kirk, Wallace, McKinley AIA and Associates (firm); Paul Hayden Kirk (architect); David A. McKinley Jr. (architect); Donald Sheridan Wallace (architect)

Dates: constructed 1966-1967

4 stories

Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

The celebrated Seattle-based architectural firm of Kirk, Wallace and McKinley designed the brick-faced Administration Building at Washington State University and supervised its completion in 1967. The Lighty Student Services Bldg (LGTY) was connected to the French Building in 1996.

Building History

In 1968, Washington State University administrators honored the school's sixth president, PA-native Charles Clement French (1901-1988), who acted in this capacity from 1952 until 1966. He earned his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in chemistry (the last awarded in 1927) from the University of Pennsylvania (Penn), and worked as a faculty member at Penn and the Randolph-Macon Women's College before switching to administration at the latter; he worked as Dean of the College at Randolph-Macon from 1936-1949. In rapid succession, he was made Vice-President at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute (Virginia Tech) for one year (1949-1950), and the Dean of the College at Texas A&M University (1950-1952).

PCAD id: 8212