AKA: Wu Building, Lake City, Seattle, WA; Goiney and Roedel Clinic, Lake City, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - health and welfare buildings

Designers: Kirk, Paul Hayden, AIA (firm); Paul Hayden Kirk (architect)

Dates: constructed 1951-1953

1 story

view all images ( of 1 shown)

3202 NE 125th Street
Lake City, Seattle, WA 98125-4517

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The Lake City Clinic stood at East 125th Street and 32nd Avenue NE

Building History

Seattle architect Paul Hayden Kirk (1914-1995) designed the Doctors Clinic of Lake City for Dr. Bernard J. Goiney and Dr. Robert F. Roedel. In the 1950s, Kirk became adept at designing small clinics for doctors and dentists; the market was so strong for this work, that he co-wrote (with Eugene D. Sternberg) a book on the subject entitled, Doctors' Offices & Clinics, Medical & Dental, (New York: Reinhold Publishing Corporation. 1955).

Building Notes

The American Institute of Architects (AIA) awarded the Lake City Medical Clinic a National Merit Award in 1953. Also called the "Lake City Clinic." Presentation drawing housed at the University of Washington for this building dated 11/01/1951; Images of the Lake City Clinic are included in Photo Collection #191, American Institute of Architects Photograph Collection, 1943-1976, as well as the Dearborn-Massar Collection, held in the University of Washington Libraries, Department of Special Collections, Seattle, WA. The clinic's appearance with its overlapping planes, extended walls and eaves and porte cochere recalled Prairie Style work by Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) and the Modernist icon, Barcelona Pavilion (1929), by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969).

PCAD id: 8206