AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), College of Forestry Building #1, Seattle, WA; University of Washington, Seattle (UW), State Museum, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - exhibition buildings - exposition buildings

Designers: Saunders and Lawton, Architects (firm); George Willis Lawton (architect); Charles Willard Saunders (architect); J. Charles Stanley (architect)

Dates: constructed 1908-1909, demolished 1930

3 stories

view all images ( of 6 shown)

University of Washington, Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

In 1922, the old Forestry Building was used as the State Museum on the UW Campus.

Building Notes

According to the Tyee, the University of Washington Yearbook for 1910, the Forestry Building "...will be the largest log house ever built, and about the front of the structure will be 124 logs each forty feet high and five feet in diameter. The weight of each one of the these great logs is estimated at 50,000 pounds. The logs used in the exterior of the building are being left in the rough, while those used in the interior will have the bark removed. The structure is 320 feet long. It reverts to the University for use by the School of Forestry." (See "The Exposition Architecturally," Tyee, 1910, p. 380.) The Forestry Building had a large gazebo erected in front of it.

The building's interior contained various displays: "A display showed timber and lumber manufactuering stages as well as a fish hatchery, aquarium and collection of taxidermied animals." (See Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), "Forestry Building, ca. 1912," accessed 04/30/2015.)


The AYPE Forestry Building was razed in 1930.

PCAD id: 8167