Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Bassetti and Morse, Architects (firm); Teufel, William G., Landscape Architect (firm); Frederick Forde Bassetti (architect); John Moore Morse (architect); William G. Teufel (landscape architect)

Dates: constructed 1952-1953

2 stories

6544 49th Avenue NE
Pontiac, Seattle, WA 98115-7733

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

The up-and-coming architectural firm of Bassetti and Morse designed this single-family residence for Gerald R. and Mildred A. Martin in the Pontiac neighborhood of Seattle, WA, completed in 1953. Gerald Martin (1920-2003) worked as a commercial artist with an office at 1331 3rd Avenue in Downtown Seattle. (See Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1955, p. 897.) The Martins lived here until at least 1995.

Building History

Byt the early 1950s, the firm of Bassetti and Morse emerged as one of the leading young architectural firms in Seattle, winning several design awards in both local and national competitions. Their house for Gerald and Mildred Martin proved to be widely heralded, earning a great deal of press coverage for the firm. The American Institute of Architects (AIA) named it a National Merit Award winner in 1954 in the Single Family Residence Category.

William Teufel (1925-2007) designed the landscape surrounding the Martin House.

Building Notes

Images of the Gerald Martin House are included in Photo Collection #191, American Institute of Architects Photograph Collection, 1943-1976 held in the University of Washington Libraries, Department of Special Collections, Seattle, WA.

PCAD id: 8027