Structure Type: built works - public buildings

Designers: Belluschi, Pietro, FAIA, Architect (firm); Naramore, Bain, Brady, and Johanson, (NBBJ) (firm); William James Bain Sr. (architect); Pietro Belluschi (architect); Clifton J. Brady (architect); Perry Bertil Johanson (architect); Floyd Archibald Naramore (architect)

Dates: constructed 1949-1951

6 stories, total floor area: 91,091 sq. ft.

1015 2nd Avenue
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98104-1001

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Prior to 1950, the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco rented space in Seattle, WA, to serve its needs. In 1949, money was earmarked for a dedicated building in Seattle. William Bain, Sr., of the Seattle architectural firm of NBBJ, designed this severe banking block to suggest solidity and permanence. Federal Reserve employees moved $400 million in bills and securities and $400,000 in coins from an earlier storage location to the completed bank on 12/29-30/1950. The bank opened for business on 01/02/1951 and staged a public open house on 02/15/1951. This bank location was vacated in 2008; a new location in Renton, WA, on the site of Longacres Race Track, was dedicated 04/07/2008. Following the Federal Reserve's departure, the building has stayed vacant. The noted Portland, OR, architect, Pietro Belluschi, served as a Design Consultant on this building. Belluschi at this time was also preparing to take over the Deanship of the Architecture School at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

Walls of the building were 30 inches thick and composed of reinforced concrete. Tel: (206) 343-3600 (2008); in 2010, the building had an assessed value of $15,553,000; it occupied a 25,920-square-foot (0.60 acre) parcel. Its interior contained 91,091 gross square feet, 67,141 net. Some sources have noted that the building had 110,000 square feet of space when built.

Efforts to sell the building to a developer who would demolish it were on-going in 2010.