AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, Law Building #1, Seattle, WA; University of Washington, Seattle, Gowen, Herbert H., Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Albertson, Wilson and Richardson, Architects (firm); Madden Construction Company (firm); Abraham Horace Albertson (architect); Madden ; Paul David Richardson (architect); Joseph Wade Wilson (architect)

Dates: constructed 1931-1933

view all images ( of 1 shown)

University of Washington, Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building Notes

This Elizabethan Law School building at the University of Washington was the first Quad building not designed by the firm of Bebb and Gould. The notable firm of A.H. Albertson and Company produced the design for the first dedicated UW Law School building. Like Gould, Albertson (1872-1964), who was about the same age as Quad and Suzzallo Library designer Carl F. Gould, Sr., (1873-1939) also, like him, was a graduate of a prestigious East Coast architectural school, Columbia University. Planning for the building started while Governor Roland Hartley (1864-1952) was still in office (a Republican, he was voted out in the FDR landslide of 1932). Hartley had a political grudge against UW President Henry Suzzallo (1875-1933) and Gould, and had both removed from the their UW positions in 1926.

The name of Condon Hall #1 was changed officially to Herbert Henry Gowen Hall on 07/20/1977. This helped differentiate the old Law School Building from the new one completed in 1974, designed by the Philadelphia firm of Mitchell-Giurgola. Gowen had been a fixture on the campus for 35 years, founding the Department of Oriental Studies in 1909, the year of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. He also was the rector of several local churches and became a popular lecturer on Asian culture in Seattle, having lived there some years as a missionary. He was also the father of longtime Department of Architecture Professor, Lance E. Gowen (1874-1958), who enjoyed a successful 30-year career at the UW.


Condon Hall #1 undervent remodeling work in 1959-1960 and 1974. In 1959-1960, the Madden Construction Company undertook $138,112 worth of alterations. (See "Regents Approve Building Plans, Seattle Times, 06/21/1958, p. 3.)

PCAD id: 7966