AKA: Rialto Block, Downtown, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - stores

Designers: Skillings and Corner, Architects (firm); James N. Corner (architect); Warren Porter Skillings (architect)

Dates: constructed 1893-1894, demolished 1949

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

2nd Avenue and Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The Rialto Building housed a number of important tenants. From 1896-1899, the Rialto Building housed the Seattle Public Library on its second floor. (Previously, the library had occupied reading room space in the Collins Building across the street at 520-524 2nd Avenue.) The library remained at the Rialto Block until it was moved to Henry Yesler's 40-room mansion on 01/12/1899. Around 1905, the Rialto housed, in part, the Frederick, Nelson and Munro Store and Holiday Goods Store located at the corner of Second Avenue and Madison Street. By 1910, Frederick and Nelson occupied almost the entire block.

Demolition

The Rialto Building was razed to make room for the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, Seattle Branch erected between 1949 and 1951.

PCAD id: 7695