AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Winkenwerder, Hugo, Forest Sciences Laboratory, Seattle, WA; University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Winkenwerder Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Grant, Copeland and Chervenak and Associates, Architects (firm); Robert Allan Chervenak (architect); Ross W. Copeland Jr. (architect); Austin Grant (architect)

Dates: constructed 1962-1963

3 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

Three buildings made up the UNiversity of Washington's Department of Forestry's portion of the campus, Anderson Hall (1925), Winkenwerder Hall, and Bloedel Hall. These three buildings set on the southeast periphery of campus, made up a quiet and wooded ensemble, oriented around a placid central courtyard. Winkenwerder Hall, a dramatric demonstration of the potential of forest products, has been known under three names: during design and construction, it was referred to as the UWForest Products Science Building; after its completion in 1963, it was named for the Forestry Department's second Dean, Hugh A. Winkenwerder (1878-1947), a graduate of the pioneering Yale Forest School, and called the "Winkenwerder Forest Sciences Laboratory;" finally, in 1972, the building's name was shortened to "Winkenwerder Hall." It remains one of the best examples of non-residential Regional Modern architecture in the Puget Sound region.

Building Notes

The Hugo Winkenwerder Forest Sciences Laboratory was completed in 1963.

Harvey R. Dodd and Associates served as the Structural Engineers; Baugh Construction was the General Contractor. Architects were Ross W. Copeland, Jr., Austin Grant and Robert A. Chervenak.

Building Notes

WInkenwerder Hall won an Award of Merit from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in 1966, one of nine awarded that year.

PCAD id: 7318