AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Gerberding, William P., Hall, Seattle, WA; University of Washington, Gerberding Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Jones and Jacobsen, Associated Architects (firm); Nordic Construction Company (firm); Stock and Associates, Architects (firm); John T. Jacobsen (architect); Victor Noble Jarrett Jones (architect); Stock (architect)

Dates: constructed 1949

5 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

University of Washington Campus, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

Architects Victor Jones (1900-1969) and John Jacobsen (1903-1998) produced an old-fashioned Jacobethan Revival Style design harmonizing with the prevalent style of Quad buildings in 1949. Other retardataire Jacobethan buildings were also erected at around this time, including the Art and Music Buildings on the east end of the Quad. The University of Washington (UW) upper administration has occupied this building since the beginning; it was named for UW President William P. Gerberding (1929-2014)in 1995, just after he left office on 08/31/1995.

Alteration Notes

On 06/29/1969, an explosion caused by dynamite damaged the entryway of Gerberding Hall, then the main UW campus administration building. In 2008, an anonymous donor gave the University of Washington eight copper and tin bells for installation in the tower of Gerberding Hall. These bells were for change ringing, creating patterns rather than tunes. Stock and Associates worked on this project, creating a belfry nad ringing room below to accommodate a team of bell ringers. Nordic Construciton worked on this project; Brian Rostheimer of Nordic Construction was one employee on the retrofitting of the tower.

PCAD id: 6934