AKA: Prentiss, Mrs F.F., House, Oak Knoll, Pasadena, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Greene and Greene, Architects (firm); Charles Sumner Greene (architect); Henry Mather Greene (architect)

Dates: constructed 1911-1913

2 stories, total floor area: 8,559 sq. ft.

1188 Hillcrest Avenue
Oak Knoll, Pasadena, CA 91106-4433

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

The house proved too costly for Cordelia Culbertson and her two sisters to maintain; in 1917, Mrs. Dudley P. (Elisabeth S.) Allen (later to become Mrs. Francis Fleury Prentiss) bought the property. Mrs. F.F. Prentiss had wealth from stock in the Standard Oil Company of Ohio, later called SOHIO.

This stucco-faced house featured a U-shaped patio plan, first used by the Greenes for the Arturo Bandini House, Pasadena, CA, 1903. The Culbertson House was for sale in 06/2013 for $7.5 million. At this time, the property had 30,060 square feet and the house, 8,559.

Columbia University has drawings, booklets and other items prepared by Henry M. Greene for a 1931 addition of a potting house and retaining wall. (See "Series II: Project Drawings Cordelia A. Culbertson House [Pasadena, Calif.]. Grounds and Outbuildings,"Accessed 06/26/2013.) Columbia also has drawings for a fountain and garden urn on the property done by the Greenes in 1915. (See "Cordelia A. Culbertson House [Pasadena, Calif.]. Fountain and Garden Urns,"Accessed 06/26/2013.)

Pasadena Historical Landmark (1985-09-12): ID n/a

PCAD id: 6885