AKA: Arcade Plaza Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - department stores

Designers: Thomas, Grainger and Thomas, Architects (firm); Clyde Grainger (architect); Donald P. Thomas (architect); Irving Harlan Thomas (architect)

Dates: constructed 1927

2nd Avenue and University Street
Seattle , WA 98101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Seattle retailer, M. Lamont Bean, purchased the Rhodes Store in 1965, operating this downtown landmark for 3 years before closing it in 1968. Other Rhodes stores operating in the Seattle area were rebranded as "Lamont's" stores in 1970. These operated until 1994, when the 52-store chain was digested by the department store chain, Gottschalk's.

A pipe organ played for Rhodes of Seattle shoppers, similarly to the live piano music that played for Nordstrom customers. Later housed a Kinko's Copy store and Seattle's Best Coffee outlet. According to an advertisement extolling Seattle's construction rate in 1927, the Rhodes Department Store cost $1,700,000 to erect. (See "Seattle 'the City that is ever Building!'" Seattle Daily Times, 07/09/1928, p. 34.)

Demolished in 2005 to make room for the Washington Mutual (WaMu) Tower.

PCAD id: 6246