AKA: Unico Properties, LLC, Henry Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Howells and Stokes, Architects (firm); Metropolitan Building Company, Developers (firm); Seattle Cornice Works (firm); Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation, Builders (firm); Unico Properties, LLC (firm); Abraham Horace Albertson (architect); John Francis Douglas Sr. (developer); John Mead Howells (architect); Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes (architect)

Dates: constructed 1908-1909

view all images ( of 1 shown)

Union Street and 4th Avenue
Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Located on the southeastern corner of Union Street and Fourth Avenue.

This office building and its conjoined neighbors, the White and Stuart Buildings, were built for the Metropolitan Building Company, a major developer of Downtown Seattle, WA, in the 1900s-1910s. Metropolitan created an ambitious Beaux-Arts master plan for a tract vacated by the University of Washington, which moved to its lakeside location in 1895. The Metropolitan Tract Plan consisted of a theater, hotel, stores and several office buildings set in a symmetrical plan, with a park, University Plaza, gracing its center.

Part of the conjoined White-Henry-Stuart complex of office and retail buildings in the Metropolitan Tract constructed between 1907-1915.

Demolished; Unico Properties had the Henry Building torn down in 1974 to make way for Rainier Plaza.

PCAD id: 6083