AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Hansee, Martha Louis, Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - housing - student housing; built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Bebb and Gould, Architects (firm); Carlson Electric Company (firm); Graham and Myers, Architects (firm); Sheble Construction Company (firm); University Plumbing and Heating Company (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect); John Graham Sr. (architect/engineer); David John Myers (architect); Sheble (building contractor)

Dates: constructed 1935-1936

view all images ( of 4 shown)

4000 15th Ave NE
University of Washington Campus, Seattle, WA 98105

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
King

Building History

Seattle architects John Graham, Sr., (1873-1955) and David J. Myers (1872-1939) associated to work on this dormitory commission; their formal partnership lasted only between 1905-1910. They worked with supervising architects Bebb and Gould on the UW Women's Dormitory. The architects collaborated with the building contractor, the Sheble Construction Company. and sub-contractors, University Plumbing and Heating and the Carlson Electric Company.

Hansee Hall opened during the first week of 10/1936. The Seattle Daily Times described the new dormitory's location, capacity and amenities: "Three hundred girls are busy moving into the new $600,000 women's dormitory at the University of Washington in preparation for opening of classes next week. Built under a grant of federal funds, the dormitory is situated opposite the campus at East 45th Street. It consists of four halls, each accommodating seventy-five women. Each of the four units is equipped with its own living room, recreation room and dining hall connecting with a fully euipped kitchen. The halls are named Isabella Austin, Eliza Ferry Leary, Ruth Karr McKee and Catherine Blaine." (See Seattle Daily Times, "New $600,000 Women's 'Dorm' To Open Doors," 10/04/1946, p. 56.)

The dormitory was renamed "Hansee Hall" in 1965.

Notes

The four-story building had an H shape, the rooms located in four "houses", each named after a significant woman; the building shares the "Jacobethan" styling of the campus's Main Quad.

PCAD id: 6070