AKA: Citicorp Center, San Francisco, CA; London Paris-Anglo National Bank, San Francisco, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - banks (buildings); built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Kelham, George William, Architect (firm); Pereira, William L. and Associates Planning and Architecture (firm); Pissis, Albert, Architect (firm); George William Kelham (architect); William Leonard Pereira (architect); Albert Pissis (architect)

Dates: constructed 1908-1910

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

1 Sansome Street
Financial District, San Francisco, CA 94104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Northwest corner of Sansome Street and Sutter Street.

The original, two-story Anglo and London Paris National Bank of San Francisco Headquarters was designed by one of San Francisco's preeminent architects of the late nineteenth century, Albert Pissis (1852-1914). Pissis gave the bank colossal two-story high columns and pilasters on its front facade, providing a sturdy, time-tested appearance; the columns and pilasters supported an elaborate cornice topped by a balustrade. In later years, the San Francisco-based Crocker Bank owned this grand low-rise, a remnant of the Financial District's Classical era.

A 43-story high-rise, the Citicorp Center, now towers over the Anglo and London Paris National Bank in San Francisco's Financial District;

Altered by George Kelham (1871-1936), 1921; the 43-story Citicorp Center was designed by the Los Angeles architect, William L. Pereira (1909-1985) in 1984; Delahanty, in Preserving the West (Pantheon Books, 1985), p. 61, indicated that Kelham worked on an expansion to the London-Paris-Anglo National Bank in 1936.

PCAD id: 5619