AKA: First Presbyterian Church #1, Downtown, Seattle, WA; Mount Zion Baptist Church, Downtown, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - religious structures - churches

Designers: Williams and Krumbein, Architects (firm); Justus F. Krumbein (architect); Warren Heywood Williams (architect)

Dates: constructed 1876

view all images ( of 1 shown)

3rd Avenue and Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The congregation grew very quickly between 1877-1892, from 150 to 480 parishioners, necessitating that a new church with a larger capacity be built. In 1894, a new 1500-seat church was built at 4th Avenue and Spring Street.

In 1896, the Mount Zion Baptist Church utilized this old Presbyterian facility for its congregation. J.C. Pegram was the Baptist minister at this time. (See "In the Churches,"Seattle Times, 08/08/1896, p.3.)

Demolished;

PCAD id: 5381