AKA: Wing Luke Museum, Building #3, International District, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - social and civic buildings - community centers

Designers: Coughlin Porter Lundeen (CPL), Engineers (firm); Leavengood Architects (firm); Marpac Construction Company (firm); Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen (OSKA) (firm); James Coughlin (engineer); Thomas Walter Kundig (architect); Terry R. Lundeen (civil engineer); James W.P. Olson (architect); Steven Porter (engineer); Richard Sundberg (architect)

Dates: constructed 1910

3 stories, total floor area: 57,000 sq. ft.

719 South King Street
International District, Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
8th Street South and South King Street

In 1910, approximately 170 recent Asian-American immigrants pooled their resources to erect a community center and apartments for themselves in the East Kong Yick Building; in 2005, the Wing Luke Pan-Asian-American Museum obtained 57,000 square feet of space in the former Wah Young Company Grocery Store building; the former museum space on South 7th Avenue occupied only 10,000 square feet. The Wing Luke Museum has had three homes: the first in a small storefront on 8th Avenue South (1967-1986), then next in a larger space on 7th Avenue South (1987-2004). and this space from 2005-present.

According to Amy Chinn, Marketing Director of the Wing Luke Museum in 2012: "'When this was an immigrant hotel, there were retail shops on the first floor, the manager's office on the second and hotel rooms on the third. It really was kind of a community of single men at the time [1910], since men came over [from China] to work. So the hotel rooms are preserved with some of the furniture and clothing and photos.'" (See Janelle Wetzstein, "The Atypical Wing Luke Museum Shares Immigrant Community's History," City Living Seattle, 01/18/2012, p. 7.)

Rick Sundberg of Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen (OSKA) led a renovation effort of the second Wing Luke Museum space in the former East Kong Yick Building. He toured the Lower East Side Tenement Museum in New York, NY, and this trip underscored to him the importance of preserving as much of the historic fabric of the building as possible. A large portion of the second floor was removed but Sundberg emphasized that its raw materials be reused elsewhere in the building. Floorboards, for example, were re-purposed as stair treads. As part of the renovation, OSKA added the 60-seat Tateuchi Theatre, multiple exhibition spaces, an 1,800-square-foot assembly hall, and the Yick Fung Grocery Store, which was formerly located down the street and closed in 2008. Following closure, this grocery donated its remaining inventory to the museum. The renovation cost $12.1 million; artworks included "Letter Cloud," a sculpture hung from the ceiling by Erin Shie Palmer and Susie Kozawa and a steel canopy by Gerry Tsutakawa (born 1947). The OSKA team included: Stephen Yamada-Heidner, Martha Rogers, John Kenndy, Misun Chung Gerrick, and Debbie Kennedy; the Engineer was Coughlin Porter Lundeen; Building Contractor: Marpac; Preservation Consultant: Leavengood Architects.

PCAD id: 5298