AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, Computer Sciences and Engineering Building, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Thiry, Paul, AIA, Architect (firm); John Paul Jones (architect); Paul Albert Thiry Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1947-1948

Stevens Way
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Located just east of Drumheller Fountain;

John Paul Jones served as the Supervising Architect for the University of Washington, collaborating with Paul Thiry.

Architect Paul Thiry, Sr., (1904-1993) laid out the Electrical Engineering Building in a T-shape, the main trunk of the T housing a laboratory equipped with 14 testing stations using AC and DC current. These labs were insulated acoustically from classrooms on the upper two floors. The cross of the T contained 5 other lab spaces as well as 2 shops. The building as originally built had three floors plus a penthouse containing a radar testing laboratory. A circular stair place at the center of the building allowed access to all floors including the penthouse. Both stair towers placed at either end of the T's cross, were glazed to allow students views toward Lake Washington on the East. All faculty offices, as well, were placed on the upper two floors of the cross's eastern side to maximize lake views. The exterior was clad in brick, its fenestration trimmed by contrasting Indiana limestone. Originally, this building's laboratories had easy-cleaning and fire-resistant tile walls, and the offices had plaster. Images of the Electrical Engineering Building are included in Photo Collection #191, American Institute of Architects Photograph Collection, 1943-1976 held in the University of Washington Libraries, Department of Special Collections, Seattle, WA.

Thiry's firm added a fourth story in 1972; alterations were made by Kallmann McKinnell and Wood, Architects, Boston, MA, in association with Seattle architects Mahlum and Norfors, Architects, Seattle, WA, 1999;

Demolished;

PCAD id: 5202