Structure Type: built works - exhibition buildings - museums

Designers: Bebb and Gould, Architects (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1926-1927

4100 15th Avenue NE
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-1410

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
15th Avenue NE and NE 41st Street.

The museum's benefactor was Horace Chapin Henry, (1844-1928), a Civil War veteran and Seattle businessman who worked on the construction of a western railroad line between Montana and Seattle, WA, for the Chicago, Milwaukee, Saint Paul, and Pacific Railroad.

Bebb and Gould's University of Washington, Seattle, Henry Art Gallery won a Seattle Honor Award, Washington State Chapter, American Institute of Architects for "Libraries, Museum, etc" in 1928;

Gwathmey Siegel and Associates, Architects, renovated the original 10,000 square-foot space and added a large three-story wing to the Henry in 1993-1997. Exhbition space increased from 5,000 to 14,000 square feet. Gwathmey's new wing included a 150-seat auditorium, children's art studio, educational group facilities, and new storage areas. In 1996, the Henry had approximately 18,000 items in its collections, worth in excess of $25 million. A pedestrian bridge traversing the busy 15th Avenue NE was also re-designed by Gwathmey Siegel. Loschky, Marquardt and Nesholm, (LMN), Architects, served as Consulting Architects on the Henry Art Gallery's enlargement. The addition, costing $17.3 million, was part of a larger $25 million fund-raising effort, conceived to add money for a new endowment for programs and exhibits. Illsley Ball Nordstrom (1912-1996), widow of Nordstrom executive, Lloyd Nordstrom (1910-1976), donated significant funds for the development of the new Henry addition.

PCAD id: 5083