AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, First Campus, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1860-1861

4th Avenue and University Street
Seattle, WA 98101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

The University of Washington's first campus existed on "Denny's Knoll" in what became Downtown Seattle from 11/04/1861-1895; Arthur Armstrong Denny (b. 1822 in Indiana) donated some of his estate on which to found this state institution. Denny was one of the most significant pioneers in 19th-century Seattle, arriving in 1851 at Alki Point. He had a long career in public service--as a postmaster, county commissioner, and state legislator--and as a prominent businessman. The cubic first university building, with its cupola and projecting portico, was located at 4th Avenue and University Street.

PCAD id: 4848