AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, Bagley, Reverend Daniel, Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Loschky Marquardt and Nesholm (LMN), Architects (firm); Moore Ruble Yudell Architects (firm); Naramore, Grainger and Thomas, Architects (firm); Waldron, Pomeroy, Polk and Smith, Architects (firm); Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect); Clyde Grainger (architect); Robert B. Inverarity (artist); Charles Willard Moore (architect); Floyd Archibald Naramore (architect); William Polk (architect); Gerald Charles Pomeroy (architect); John Ruble (architect); Ragnar Smith (architect); Irving Harlan Thomas (architect); Lawrence Galen Waldron (architect); Robert Yudell (architect)

Dates: constructed 1935-1937

University District, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building Notes

The building is named for a founder of the University of Washington, the Methodist minister, Daniel Bagley; Robert B. Inverarity produced the mosaics in the entryway, a Federal Art Project project of the Works Project Administration (WPA).

Duane Dietz noted (1994) that Carl Gould of the Seattle architecture firm, Bebb and Gould, also participated in the design of Bagley Hall. (See Duane Dietz, "Floyd Naramore," Shaping Seattle Architecture, [Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994], p. 200 and 203.)

Alteration

The firm of Waldron, Pomeroy, Polk and Smith, Architects, supervised the design and construction of an addition to Bagley Hall in 1980.

Moore, Ruble, Yudell and Loschky, Marquardt, and Nesholm (LMN) produced the Chemistry Building Addition in 1995; in 2007, three areas in Bagley Hall were renovated: Bagley 290 (Undergraduate teaching lab), the West end of the third floor and the north side space currently allocated to Chemistry on the 4th floor.

PCAD id: 4775