AKA: First Korn Building, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Fisher and Clark, Architects (firm); George Clark (architect); Elmer H. Fisher (architect)

Dates: constructed 1887-1889, demolished 1889

119 Yesler Way
Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

This commercial building was erected by the family of Charles C. Terry in the late 1880s. It lasted for a short time before it perished in the Great Seattle Fire of 06/06/1889.

Building History

Seattle pioneer Charles C. Terry (1830-1867) purchased the lot on which the Korn Building #1 was built in the 1850s. His heirs continued to own the property in the late 1880s when this first business block was erected. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer said of the Korn Building #1 in 02/1889: “When Mr. Yesler made the original plat of the claim, years ago, he sold one lot on the corner opposite to Mr. C.C. Terry for $200. This property is now occupied by the new Korn block, and is still owned by the Terry heirs.” (See “The Largest for the Year,” Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 02/17/1889, p. 5.)

The short-lived firm of Fisher and Clark designed three known buildings, the James and Hastings Building, Port Townsend, WA (1888-1889), the Colman Building #1, Seattle, WA (1887), and the Korn Building #1 (1886-1889).

The building took its name from Moses Korn (1833-1894), a pharmacist, who leased space in the building.

Demolition

The Korn Building #1 burned about less than a year after its completion in the Great Fire of 1889.

PCAD id: 4636