Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Houghton, Edwin W., Architect (firm); Edwin Walker Houghton (architect)

Dates: constructed 1901-1903

4 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

1318 1st Avenue
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
The Arcade Building #2 was located at 1st Avenue and University Street.

Overview

Built in 1901-1903, the mammoth Arcade Building, with its extensions, occupied all of the 2nd Avenue westside street frontage between Union Street and Seneca Street. It stood on the northwest corner of 2nd Avenue and Seneca Street and southwest corner of 2nd Avenue and University Street.

Building History

The Seattle Symphony debuted in Christiansen Hall, a concert hall within the Arcade Building on 12/29/1903; in 1905, Shafer Brothers, Outfitters for Men, the Pianola, C.W. Herald and Webster and Stevens rented space in the Arcade Building. In 1913, the following retail stores occupied space there: Rhodes Department Store; Shafer Brothers; S.P. Charlton and Company, 5-10 and 15 Cent Store; Eggert Shoe Company; Brooks Haberdashers; the Bon Marche Department Store. A Pearl Electronics Store operated in the Arcade Building in the 1960s.

In 1953, David Whitcomb, Sr., served as the President of the Arcade Building and Realty Company. His son, David Whitcomb, Jr., was the Secretary. Their office was in Room #6130 of the Arcade Building. (See Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1953, p. 68.)

Building Notes

In 08/1905, E.N. Brooks and Company, hatters and men's clothiers, occupied space at 1331 2nd Avenue.

In 1918, the Argus newspaper had its offices in Rooms #4126-4129 in the Arcade Building. H.A. Chadwick was its publisher in 1918. (See R.L. Polk and Company's Seattle City Directory, 1918, p. 346.)

Alteration

The Arcade Building had an addition made c. 1913; it was referred to as the "Arcade Building Extension."

Demolition

The Arcade Building was razed. The Seattle Art Museum occupied a portion of the site after 1991.

PCAD id: 4492