AKA: Warner Beverly Hills Theater, Beverly Hills, CA; Beverly Theatre, Beverly Hills, CA

Structure Type: built works - performing arts structures - theatres

Designers: Priteca, B. Marcus, Architect (firm); Benjamin Marcus Priteca (architect)

Dates: constructed 1930-1931

9404 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA 90212-3103

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Wilshire Boulevard and North Canon Drive.

B. Marcus Priteca, the Seattle and Los Angeles-based architect, worked for the Pantages chain early in his career; he designed this theatre for the Warner Brothers in the early 1930s. It was considered one of the most splendid Art Deco theatres in Los Angeles of its time. According to Cinema Treasures.org: "Designed B. Marcus Priteca in the early 1930's, the Warner Beverley Hills Theatre was a medium sized theater, designed after its sisters in Huntington Park and San Pedro." See "Warner Beverly Hills Theater"Accessed 08/10/2009. This movie house passed from the Warner Brothers chain to what became the Stanley Warner chain to the Pacific Drive-In Theatre Corporation in 1961.

The Warner Beverly Hills--a single-screen facility--seated approximately 2,000 patrons. A vertical mast sign spelling out the name "Warner" in neon rose from the top of an Art Deco tower.

Demolished; Columbia Savings and Loan Association, the disgraced thrift institution and final owner of the Warner Brothers Theatre, had the facility torn down in 1989; this S and L didn't want to spend the money--reportedly $12 million--to seismically upgrade the Art Deco movie palace, even though it was in fine cosmetic condition.

PCAD id: 4387