AKA: Seattle Public Library, Central Library #2, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - social and civic buildings - libraries

Designers: Bindon, Wright and Partners, Architects (firm); Decker, Christenson and Kitchin, Architects and Engineers (firm); Leonard William Bindon (architect); Waldo Barrickman Christenson (architect); Ralf Edward Decker (architect); Charles E. Kitchin Sr. (civil engineer); John LeBaron Wright (architect)

Dates: constructed 1958-1960, demolished 2001

5 stories, total floor area: 206,000 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 1 shown)

1000 4th Avenue
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98104-1109

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
This has been the location for three succesive main buildings of the Seattle Public Library.

The passage of a 1956 City of Seattle bond issue created a pool of $5 million with which to build the Main Branch #2; once this was built, $500,000 remained, and this money paid for the Southwest, Ballard #2, and Magnolia #3 Branch Libraries. The Main Library #2 opened on 03/26/1960. Encompassing 206,000 square feet, the library had a up-top-date International Style appearance, typified by its clean geometric forms and curtain wall construction. It possessed such state-of-the-art features as a drive-in service window at which patrons could pick up (previously ordered) items or return them, without having to park; the "Popular Library," a smoking lounge, with the comforts of a living room, where the latest popular literature could be enjoyed; An article in the Architectural Record carried the headline, "Seattle's new main library helps 'sell' the idea of reading," suggesting that the contemporary library was akin to a retail store trying to sell itself to consumers. Escalators that joined the five floors like a department store and air conditioning that cooled the interior like a movie theatre; abstract art by George Tsutakawa (1910-1997) and other regional artists; a film department stocked with 1,000 16-millimeter films available for short loans.

The building closed to the public 06/08/2001; according to the Seattle Times, "The new library was one of the first downtown buildings where women could wear pants to work." (See http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/local/seattle_history/articles/madison.html accessed 06/18/2007)

According to the Seattle Public Library: "The city was able to upgrade the Central Library 19 years later with a $2.3 million federal grant. Completed in 1979, the renovation gave patrons access to art and music materials on the fourth floor, and added chairs, work tables, a media center, magazine and newspaper centers and carpets." (See "History of the Central Library,"Accessed 08/07/2014.)

The building was demolished 09/2001; asbestos removal efforts slowed the demolition;

PCAD id: 3970