AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Library #2, Seattle, WA; University of Washington, Seattle (UW), High Energy Physics Lab, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - exhibition buildings - exposition buildings

Designers: Bebb and Mendel, Architects (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Louis Leonard Mendel Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1908-1909, demolished 1988

2 stories, total floor area: 6,414 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 3 shown)

Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Located on what is now the University of Washington, Seattle campus;

Building History

The Seattle architectural firm of Bebb and Mendel designed this highly visible Washington State Building at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition (AYPE). The building functioned as the central library for the University of Washington, and, after the construction of Suzzallo Library in the mid-1920s, as the Washington State Museum.

Building Notes

The Washington State Building was done in the Beaux-Arts, Neo-classical manner to blend with the rest of the AYPE.

Alteration

A fireproof annex building was added between 1909 and the 1920s, when the building functioned as the University of Washington's Library.

Demolition

The AYPE Washington Building's front was demolished in 1961, the back taken down in 1988. The new Allen Library, designed by Edward Larabee Barnes (1988-1990), later occupied a portion of the site where the Washington Building/High Energy Physics Lab stood previously. According to the University of Washington (UW) 1988 Annual Report on the General Physical Development Plan, the High Energy Physics Lab demolished that year had 6,414 square feet. (p. 20).

PCAD id: 3663