AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Faculty Center #2, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Eckbo, Dean and Williams, Landscape Architects (firm); Ivarsson, Sigmund, Structural Engineer (firm); Kirk, Paul Hayden, FAIA and Associates (firm); McKinstry, Joseph, Construction Company (firm); Steinbrueck, Victor, Architect (firm); Streissguth, Daniel, Architect (firm); Wick Construction Company (firm); Francis Dean (landscape architect); Garrett N. Eckbo (landscape architect); Sigmund Ivarsson (structural engineer); Paul Hayden Kirk (architect); Joseph McKinstry (building contractor); Victor Eugene Steinbrueck (architect); Daniel Michener Streissguth (architect); Peter D. Wick Sr. (building contractor); Wayne Richard Williams (architect)

Dates: constructed 1958-1960

2 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

Building History

UW Architecture Professor, Victor Steinbrueck (1911-1985), and the Seattle architectural firm, Paul Hayden Kirk and Associates, collaborated on the design of the Faculty Club, overlooking Lake Washington. (Both architects graduated from the School of Architecture at the University of Washington.) They built the club around a central courtyard, which is actually little-used, and oriented the building to maximize the spectacular views of Lake Washington and the Cascade Mountain Range to the east. Other members of the construction team included: Sigmund Ivarsson, Structural Engineer; James B. Notkin and Associates, Mechanical Engineers; Thomas E. Sparling and Associates, Electrical Engineers; Eckbo, Dean and Williams, Landscape Architects; Wick Construction Company, Building Contractor;

Building Notes

The Faculty Club occupies the land on which stood the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition's Hoo Hoo House. Seattle architect Ellsworth Prime Storey (1879-1960) designed this log structure for the lumberman's fraternal organization, International Concatenated Order of Hoo-Hoo, established in 1892. The Faculty Club won design awards given by both the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). In 1961, the AISC bestowed recognition on the club during its Architectural Awards of Excellence Program. The Steel Construction Digestindicated in a 1961 article: “The steel structure, with steel T-decks exposed on the interior, gives the building a feeling of permanence and structural elegance as well as meeting required fire ratings and stringent economic considerations.” (This information from Marga Rose Hancock, email to the author, 09/26/2013.) Marga Rose Hancock, Kathryn Merlino and others staged an exhibition on the building's history in 09/2013 at the club, celebrating its acceptance to the National Register of Historic Places and the Washington Heritage Register. Victor Steinbrueck's son, Peter, spoke at an exhibition reception.

Alteration

Alterations were made to the faculty bar area c. 2005. Work was done by the Joseph McKinstry Construction Company.

Washington Heritage Register: ID n/a

PCAD id: 3652