AKA: First Unitarian Church #1, Berkeley, CA

Structure Type: built works - religious structures - churches

Designers: Schweinfurth, A.C., Architect (firm); Albert Cicero Schweinfurth (architect)

Dates: constructed 1898

1 story

view all images ( of 2 shown)

2401 Bancroft Way
University of California Berkeley (UCB) Campus, Berkeley, CA 94704

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Bancroft Way and Dana Court.

Building History

Having outgrown the church, the congregation left in 1960, moving to a new 11-acre site on which the architect Bernard Maybeck (1862-1957), a congregation member, had lived for fifty years. The University of California, Berkeley (UCB), purchased the 1898 church, and, after renovations, opened the building as a facility for its Dance Department.

Building Notes

Schweinfurth finished the 1st Unitarian Church in 1898; it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Renovations occurred in the 1960s, when the University of California, Berkeley, bought the building, and turned it into a facility for its Dance Department. In 1998, the First Unitarian Church #1 underwent $778.00 worth of seismic, ADA, and safety renovations.

In 1965, the University of California, Berkeley, demolished the First Unitarian Church #1 Parish House and an auxiliary building to make room for the construction of Zellerbach Hall.

PCAD id: 2397