Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - high schools

Designers: Bliss, G.S., Building Contractor (firm); Marsh, Norman Foote, Architect (firm); Guy S. Bliss (building contractor); Norman Foote Marsh (architect)

Dates: constructed 1908-1909

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

East Harvard Street and South Louise Street
Glendale, CA 91205

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The school was located at 900 5th Street in 1917.


The cornerstone for this new high school was laid on 11/27/1908. The school was to serve students from the neighboring towns of Tropico, Burbank, Ivanhoe, Eagle Rock, La Crescenta and La Canada, as well as Glendale, CA. It operated as the union high school until 1924, when a newer and larger facility was erected 1440 East Broadway in Glendale.

Building History

Glendale's first high school classes met at the Glendale Hotel in 1901. Administrators collected enough revenue to a new school in 1902 located at what would become Broadway and Brand Boulevard. Rapid growth in the district necessitated planning for this third high school on 5th Street. Norman Foote Marsh was selected to provide the design. According to an article in the Los Angeles Times, "Norman F. Marsh is the architect. He is also the architect of the South Pasadena High School building, regarded by educators as one of the best arranged in the country." (See "Classical Architecture Used in Designing New High School,"Los Angeles Times, 09/06/1908, part V, p. 20.) Marsh collaborated with G.S. Bliss, building contractor. In 09/1908, school officials estimated the total cost of the building at $52,000.

This Los Angeles Times article sketched out the floor plan of the building: "The building will be a beautiful two-story classic structure, located on Fifth street, one block from Brand boulevard in Glendale, and occupies a block of land 320 feet on Fifth street and extending north to south a distance of 590 feet. The building over all is 90x131 feet. There is a basement under the entire structure. Entrance will be by a wide flight of stairs into a vestibule twenty-five feet wide, and then directly into the main corridor extending the length of the building. In this corridor will be the lockers of the students, arranged along the walls, thus doing away with the old-time cloakrooms, and incidentally preventing the loss of numerous articles. The main floor will contain a suite for the principal, and another for the teachers. Three large recitation rooms will open off the corridor, averaging in size 27x29 feet each. A library 17x28 feet, and a study room with accommodations for 100 pupils are also on this floor. The main auditorium, with a seating capacity of 450, and a stage with dressing-rooms at one end, occupies the greater part of one side of the structure on this floor also. The basement will be utilized as a gymnasium and athletic department. The domestic science room, and the sloyd department will be there also, as well as girls' and boys' lunchrooms, with a buffet kitchen connecting, the usual toilets and bicycle rooms, and the heating and ventilating plant. The second floor will be occupied by the scientific departments. There will be chemical, physical and biological laboratories, and a lecture room seating 150 pupils. The recitation rooms and two private laboratories for physics and chemistry are located on this floor in connection with this department. The commercial department with rooms for typewriting, and the commercial courses, and the art department, with classrooms for the mechanical drawing and freehand classes, and a dark room for photographic work are provided for in the plan." (See "Classical Architecture Used in Designing New High School,"Los Angeles Times, 09/06/1908, part V, p. 20.) The "sloyd department" was an earlier term for manual arts training. In 1913, two additional buildings were erected on three new acres added to the school grounds, one for Household Arts and the other for Mechanics, both buildings also designed by Norman F. Marsh. (See "Glendale Union High School Buildings Notice to Contractors," Southwest Contractor and Manufacturer, vol. XIII, no. 1, 05/09/1914, p. 28.)

The building's exterior and HVAC equipment were also briefly described: ""The exterior finish is to be of buff pressed brick, with staff composition ornamentations. The building will be heated by steam and ventilated by a fan system. The recitation periods will be regulated by a programme clock." (See "Classical Architecture Used in Designing New High School,"Los Angeles Times, 09/06/1908, part V, p. 20.)

Building Notes

George U. Moyse served as Principal of Glendale High School from about 1902 until at least 1917. he graduated with a A.B. degree from the University of California, Berkeley (UCB), in 1898.


The Glendale Union High School #2 was razed. The Glendale Central Library was built on its site.

PCAD id: 21880