Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Gaggin and Gaggin, Architects (firm); Edwin Hall Gaggin (architect); Thomas Walker Gaggin Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1900-1902

4 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

University Place
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13210

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map


This was one of Gaggin and Gaggin's first commissions as an architectural partnership. The building was erected following a $75,000 donation by Lyman Cornelius Smith (1850-1910), President of the L.C. Smith and Brothers Typewriter Company (later known as the Smith-Corona Typewriter Company) of Syracuse, NY. Smith first made a fortune manufacturing shotguns, both for W.H. Baker & Co, and later for the L.C. Smith Shotgun Company. Architects Edwin Hall Gaggin (1866-1959) and Thomas Walter Gaggin (1871-1945) were both Syracuse University alumnae, and developed long-standing ties with Smith and his family. In the early 1910s, they designed an early skyscraper in Seattle, WA, for Smith and his son, the 462-foot Smith Tower, that became the tallest building west of the Mississippi River from 1914 until the completion of the 476-foot Kansas City Power and Light Building in 1931. Smith Hall housed the Lyman C. Smith College of Applied Science at Syracuse that opened on 11/01/1900.

Building Notes

Sheathed in Ohio sandstone, Smith Hall had a base dimension of 132' x 56' and cost approximately $75,000 to erect.


The building underwent a building shell restoration in 1981, at a cost of $250,000.

According to Syracuse University, another renovation occurred in 1992-1997. This renovation consisted of the installation of metal, wood, and plastic shops and a large model room in basement, addition of a third-floor studio, the painting of exterior trim, and repair of clerestory windows. (See Syracuse University Archives, "Lyman C. Smith Hall," accessed 10/12/2017.)

PCAD id: 21516