AKA: Capitol Theater, Salt Lake City, UT

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - commercial buildings - stores; built works - performing arts structures - theatres

Designers: Lansburgh, G. Albert, Architect (firm); Gustave Albert Lansburgh (architect)

Dates: constructed 1913

3 stories

50 West 200 South Street
Salt Lake City, UT

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
84101-1642

The second Orpheum Theatre (also known as the Capitol Theatre) in Salt Lake City, UT, opened on 08/02/1913, seating 1,800; theatre historian David Naylor, in his American Picture Palaces The Architecture of Fantasy, (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1981, p. 216), stated that capacity was 1,950. This would have been the same number as the Orpheum Theatre (1911) in Los Angeles, CA, also by Lansburgh. The Capitol Theater housed the Utah Opera Company and Ballet West (2003). This was the second Orpheum-owned theatre in Salt Lake City, the first, (later known as the Promised Valley Playhouse) opened on 12/25/1905.

The exterior had an Italianate appearance with Venetian cross-bond brickwork, Palladian windows on the second and third floors, and an ornate cornice line. The first floor storefronts were arched. In c 1940, the Capitol Theatre had a long vertical blade marquee hanging from its front facade; directly opposite of this marquee, spanning the street, was a monumental gateway sign.

National Register of Historic Places (September 30, 1976): 76002257 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

PCAD id: 195