Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Abrams, W.H., Building Contractor (firm); Williams, Warren Heywood, Architect (firm); W. H. Abrams (building contractor); Warren Heywood Williams (architect)

Dates: constructed 1885-1886

2 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

955 East 13th Avenue
University of Oregon Campus, Eugene, OR 97403

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

The railroad magnate Henry Villard (1835-1900) made an endowment gift of $50,000 to the University of Oregon in the early 1880s, and in honor of his contribution, school administrators named the second campus building (following the erection of Deady Hall) for him. The State Legislature of Oregon appropriated $30,000 for Villard Hall's completion and retained established Portland architect Warren Heywood Williams (1844-1888) to design it in association with local Eugene architectural designer/building contractor Lord Nelson Roney, who served as the construction superintendent. Roney and Williams worked with the building contractor, W.H. Abrams, who earlier constructed the State University Building (renamed in 1893 "Deady Hall"). (Following the completion of Villard Hall in 1886, Roney and Abrams worked as partners until 1888.) Campus administrators and the building team laid Villard Hall's cornerstone on 07/28/1885 and finished it the following year.

This Second Empire building was located nearby to similarly styled Deady Hall, to form a cohesive pairing.

The interior of Villard Hall has been remodeled many times and bears little resemblance to the original.

National Register of Historic Places (April 11, 1972): 72001083 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

PCAD id: 18203