Structure Type: built works - infrastructure - transportation structures - railroad stations

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1888

1 story

Bothell, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

This railroad operated independently between 1885-1992, when it developed a line leading out of Pioneer Square to Ballard and then along the northwestern periphery of Lake Washington. This path later became used for the bicycle and pedestrian Burke-Gilman Trail, named for two of the leading organizers of the Seattle, Lake Shore and Eastern Railway (S, LS and E), lawyer Thomas Burke (1849-1925) and Daniel H. Gilman (1845-1913). Its main depot was located at Bothell, WA, in 1888, at which the line split in three directions: One north to Sumas, WA on the Canadian border (connecting with the Canadian Pacific), another heading northeast over the Cascade Range to Spokane, WA, and another directed to Snoqualmie Pass to the southeast. This Bothell transfer point thus became important in the economic growth of the Puget Sound Region. In 1892, in an attempt to secure its control of the Pacific Northwest's rail trade, the Northern Pacific Railroad bought out the S, LS and E, utilizing some of its lines and abandoning others.

PCAD id: 17991