AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, Terry Hall #1, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - housing - student housing; built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Young, Richardson, Carleton and Detlie, Architects and Engineers (firm); William Hodder Carleton (architect); John Stewart Detlie Sr. (architect); William LaPatra (architect); Stephen Hinley Richardson (architect); Arrigo Mazzucato Young (civil engineer/mechanical engineer)

Dates: constructed 1951-1953, demolished 2014

11 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

1101 NE Campus Parkway
University of Washington Campus, Seattle, WA 98105

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

The University of Washington named this residence hall for Charles C. Terry, one of the donors of land for the school's first campus. Lander Hall, named for Judge Arthur Lander, another original campus land donor (along with Arthur Denny and his wife, Mary), was completed in 1957. Architects Young, Richardson, Carleton and Detlie designed both halls, reflective of what Norman Johnston has called a "cautious modernism." (See Norman Johnston, "Terry-Lander Halls," The Campus Guide University of Washington, [New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2001], p. 107.)

The University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Men's Residence Hall received a Merit Award from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in 1954. (See "AIA Seattle Honor Awards: projects cited 1950-"Accessed 02/22/2014.) In 2013, Terry Hall contained 846 rooms, all double or triple occupancy. The dorm's web site listed its amenities: "Eleven 01 Café, featuring three dining concepts; Convenient access to the Burke-Gilman Trail; Study rooms and Music practice rooms; Spacious lounge with a large fireplace; Access to the Fitness Center West in Elm Hall; Ethernet access in every room." (See "Terry Hall,"Accessed 10/03/2013.)

Terry Hall #1 was scheduled to be demolished in 2013, with Terry Hall #2 ready for occupancy on the same site in 01/2014. The architect, Mithun, priced the cost of renovation of Terry and Lander Halls versus the cost of demolition and rebuilding, finding that the renovation costs were too high. "In examining the old buildings, “we found tremendous deficiencies in energy and safety,” said Mithun partner Bill LaPatra. Redoing Lander to meet modern standards would have cost $275 a square foot and Terry, $225. The university’s budget for this phase of the project was $195 per square foot. Replacing Terry and Lander, along with adding a third building to help accommodate demand, penciled out at $185, according to a presentation Mithun put together." (See Teresa Meek, Puget Sound Business Journal,Accessed 10/03/2013.) Demolition of the 11-story building was in process on 03/18/2014. Terry Hall #1 had been leveled by 04/18/2014, with only debris needing to be removed from the site.

PCAD id: 17909