AKA: Washington State University (WSU), Heald Hall, Pullman, WA; Washington State University (WSU), Building 82, Pullman, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: C and S Builders, Incorporated (firm); Decker and Christenson, Architects (firm); Decker, Kolb and Stansfield, Architects (firm); Kehne-Crabtree Electric Company (firm); Warren, Little and Lund, Incorporated, Plumbing and Heating (firm); Waldo Barrickman Christenson (architect); Ralf Edward Decker (architect); Keith Robert Kolb (architect); Jack C. Stansfield (architect)

Dates: constructed 1960-1962

5 stories, total floor area: 82,223 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 4 shown)

1150 East College Avenue
Washington State University Campus, Pullman, WA 99163

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

This Modern biological sciences building was connected by a walkway to the existing Science Hall (1934-1935 later renamed "Abelson Hall" in 2002). Together the two buildings accommodated the Washington State University's Departments of Bacteriology and Public Health, Botany, and Zoology, and the campus's Electron Microscope Laboratory. The Seattle architectural firm of Decker and Christenson produced the design for the $1,750,000 building that opened on 05/22/1962.

The University named the building for Dr. Frederick DeForest Heald (born 1872 in MI-d. 04/24/1954 in Spokane, WA), who had previously taught at the University of Nebraska, and became the First Head of the Plant Pathology Department at Washington State College. He married Nellie Townley (died 04/14/1939 in Pullman, WA) on 12/27/1899 in Jefferson, IA. (See Ancestry.com, Source Citation Iowa Department of Public Health; Des Moines, Iowa; Series Title: Iowa Marriage Records, 1880–1922; Record Type: Textual Records, accessed 06/13/2019.) In 1930, Nellie owned and managed the College Court Apartments in Pullman. (See Ancestry.com, Source Citation Year: 1930; Census Place: Pullman, Whitman, Washington; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 0028; FHL microfilm: 2342257, accessed 06/13/2019.)

One of Frederick and Nellie's sons, Henry Townley Heald (born 11/08/1904 in Lincoln, NE-d. 11/23/1975 in Winter Park, FL), graduated with a civil engineering degree from Washington State College, and a master's in the subject from the University of Illinois, went on to teach and serve as President of the Armour Institute in Chicago (1938-1952) and became Chancellor (later President of New York University from (1952-1856). For ten years, he assumed, what the New York Times called the "the most important educational job in the United States" as President of the Ford Foundation from 1956 until 1966. (See M.A. Farber, New York Times.com, "Dr. Henry Heald of Ford Fund Dead," published 11/25/1975, accessed 06/13/2019.)

Alterations

Heald Hall had a 5th floor addition made in the late 1960s.

PCAD id: 17833