AKA: El Capitan Theatre, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA; Hollywood Palace Theater, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - saloons

Designers: Gogerty and Weyl, Architects (firm); Henry L. Gogerty (architect); Carl Jules Weyl Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1926-1927

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

1735 North Vine Street
Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028-5248

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Near Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street;

The Hollywood Playhouse opened 01/24/1927, one of Hollywood's most elegant venues for theatrical productions, designed by the Los Angeles firm of Gogerty and Weyl, Architects. Gogerty and Weyl produced a variety of commercial work in Hollywood during the 1920s. In the 1930s, the building housed the WPA Federal Theatre, and at about this time, it was a location for the CBS Radio Network's shows, "Baby Snooks" and "My Favorite Husband" starring Lucille Ball. Subsequently, in the 1940s and 1950s, the El Capitan Theatre occupied the space; here the television shows "Queen for a Day,"This Is Your Life," and "The Colgate Comedy Hour," were produced; the address was renamed in 1963 to the "Jerry Lewis Theatre" as it hosted Lewis's ABC television variety show; ABC then renamed the theatre the Hollywood Palace and filmed the show, "Hollywood Palace" there. it functioned as an ABC studio in the 1960s and 1970s, and became the setting for the "Merv Griffin Show." It was also the first West Coast venue for the Beatles in 1964; in its next incarnation, entrepreneurs opened the Hollywood Palace, a leading Hollywood night club during the 1970s and 1980s; The Avalon Club, owned by John Lyon and Steve Adelman, was in operation as of 03/03/2004; Lyon and Adelman operated Avalon clubs in Boston and New York in 2004; interior design was done by CAN Resources of New York.

Its exterior featured fanciful Churrigueresque ornamentation, not strictly reproducing Spanish or Mexican prototypes. David Naylor in his book American Picture Palaces (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1981), p. 218, mistakenly referred to the designers of this building as "Fogerty and Weil."

PCAD id: 1766