AKA: Roberts Orpheum Theater, Downtown, Saint Louis, MO; American Theatre, Downtown, Saint Louis, MO

Structure Type: built works - performing arts structures - theatres

Designers: Lansburgh, G. Albert, Architect (firm); Gustave Albert Lansburgh (architect)

Dates: constructed 1915-1916

view all images ( of 1 shown)

416 North 9th Street
Downtown, Saint Louis, CA 63101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

San Francisco-based architect G. Albert Lansburgh designed at least six buildings for the Orpheum Theatre circuit during the 1907-1916 period. This was the last large cinema designed for Morris Meyerfeld Jr.'s circuit in 1915-1916.

Building History

The Orpheum Theatre opened its Saint Louis, MO, vaudeville outlet on 09/03/1917, Labor Day. The theatre cost approximately $500,000 to build, and was one of the last large movie palaces built by the Orpheum chain. By about 1920, the company had built approximately 45 theatres in 36 cities most erected west of the Mississippi. Only a handful of these theatres were designed by G. Albert Lansburgh (1876-1969).

Building Notes

Theatre historian David Naylor, in his American Picture Palaces The Architecture of Fantasy, (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1981, p. 216), noted that the Orpheum Theatre in Saint Louis, MO, seated 2,300.

National Register of Historic Places (Listed 1985-03-18): 85000617 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

PCAD id: 17212