AKA: City of Seattle, Queen Anne/Magnolia Neighborhood Service Center, Queen Anne, Seattle, WA; City of Seattle, Temporary Homeless Shelter, Queen Anne, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Harmon, Pray and Detrich, Architects (firm); Miles, R.B., Construction Company (firm); George C. Dietrich Jr. (building contractor); Craig A. Harmon (architect); R. B. Miles ; Roland Gilbert Pray Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1963

2 stories, total floor area: 12,122 sq. ft.

157 Roy Street
Lower Queen Anne, Seattle, WA 98109

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The unorthodox Seattle architectural firm of Harmon Pray and Detrich produced the design for this Power Control Center for the municipally-owned Seattle City Light utility in 1963. As noted by Michael J. Herschensohn in a 2016 landmark nomination for the building: "City Light constructed this now retired Power Control Center in 1962-63 on the site of a previous distribution substation built in 1926 by Puget Sound Power & Light Company as part of their private electric utility operations within the City of Seattle. In 1951, following a city-wide referendum approving the purchase Puget Sound Power & Light all the Seattle assets, City Light acquired the Queen Anne distribution substation at the intersection of Warren Avenue North and Roy Street near today’s Seattle Center. The construction of I-5 required the demolition late in the summer of 1963 of City Light’s original power control center which had been housed at the former Yesler Substation at 7th Avenue and Yesler Way. A site City Light had used since 1905. In response to the freeway construction, City Light chose to reuse the subject site and to relocate the Power Control Center there. The architecturally distinctive building was designed to harmonize the many new buildings built for the 1962 Century 21 Exposition, in which City Light had been an enthusiastic participant. The Power Control Center entered seamlssly into service on October 1, 1963." (See Michael J. Herschensohn, Queen Anne Historical Society.org, "City of Seattle Landmark Nomination: 157 Roy Street," accessed 02/08/2016.)

Building Notes

This two-floor, hexagonal-sided, reinforced concrete office building housed a City of Seattle Neighborhood Service Center in c. 2011. It occupied a 15,360-square-foot site. The total value of land and improvements in 2011 stood at $3,115,600.