AKA: Seattle World's Fair, Food Circus, Seattle, WA; Seattle Center, Center House, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - military buildings

Designers: Coughlin Porter Lundeen (CPL), Engineers (firm); Skanska USA Building Incorporated (firm); SRG Partnership, Incorporated (firm)

Dates: constructed 1938-1939

Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

This was the third Armory built in the City of Seattle, the first built on Union Street in 1888 and the second on Virginia Street and Western Avenue, used from 1909-1968. This Streamlined Moderne facility was built in 1938-1939 to accommodate the Army's 146th Field Artillery and its half-ton tanks, as well as the 66th Field Artillery Brigade. The Armory, costing $1.25 million, opened to great fanfare on 04/16-17/1939 including a military parade of 7,000 US and Canadian soldiers and remarks by WA Governor Clarence D. Martin (1886-1955).

Originally, the armory had a swimming pool and firing range in its basement.

Remodeling to the Armory/Center House occurred in 1962, 1995 and 2011. The Armory was transformed during the Seattle World's Fair of 1962, becoming the "Food Circus" eating area for the exposition. It was later renamed the "Center House" after the fair, being part of the Seattle Center. The Center House continued to offer food choices and other spaces. Beginning in 01/1995, a $1.5 million renovation occurred in the building, that moved the existing Food Circus's stage and dance floor to the building's northwest corner. Workers repaired and shined concrete floors, installed new lighting and erected new storefronts. The Seattle Children's Museum took over significant space on the Center's first floor, forcing the food and tourist shops to the second. The first phase of Center House enhancement project concluded in 10/2011. The SRG Parternship, Incorporated, served as the architect for this 2011 renovation, working with Coughlin Porter Lundeen, Structural Engineer, and Skanska USA Building, Incorporated, the Building Contractor. These 2011 improvements were paid for by a 2011 multipurpose bond fund.

PCAD id: 16959