AKA: McCaw, John Elroy, and Marion, House, The Highlands, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Bebb and Gould, Architects (firm); Bebb and Mendel, Architects (firm); Bebb, Charles, Architect (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect); Louis Leonard Mendel Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1912-1913

2 stories

Huckleberry Lane
The Highlands, Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

According to an article on web page of Seattle's Museum of Flight: "[William] Boeing bought 16 acres on Boeing Creek where in 1913 he built a sprawling mansion designed by Seattle architect Charles Bebb. Boeing occupied the home by himself until 1921 when he married Bertha Potter Paschall. The newlyweds were joined by Bertha’s sons, Nathaniel Jr. and Cranston. Their son, William E. Boeing Jr. was born in 1923." Boeing, a long-time supporter of the Seattle Children's Orthopedic Hospital, donated this house to it in 1950. The hospital, in turn, sold the valuable property to John Elroy McCaw, a Seattle broadcasting executive and his wife, Marion. (See "William E. Boeing Biography," Museum of Flight: William E. Boeing Sr. Materials Held at The Museum of Flight,Accessed 06/07/2011.) The commission for the house originally came to the office of Bebb and Mendel; it was handled by Bebb alone and then in partnership with Carl Gould later, as its large dimensions took two years to plan and build.

Drawings of the French Provincial William E. Boeing House, held in the Carl F. Gould Collection at the Department of Special Collections, University of Washington, Seattle, were dated 06/29/1914.

Charles Bebb's new architectural partnership, Bebb and Gould, created alterations and additions (including an entrance gate and lodge) to the Boeing House in 1914-1915.

PCAD id: 16538