AKA: Westlake Theater #2, MacArthur Park, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - commercial buildings - stores; built works - performing arts structures - theatres

Designers: Bates, Richard Mortimer, Jr., Architect (firm); Lee, S. Charles Architect (firm); Richard Mortimer Bates Jr. (architect); Simeon Charles Lee (architect)

Dates: constructed 1925-1926

2 stories

634 South Alvardo Street
MacArthur Park, Los Angeles, CA 90057

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Like many movie palaces of the 1920s, the 1,900-seat Westlake Theatre was part of a larger commercial building that included retail and office space. Architect Richard Mortimer Bates, Jr., designed the Westlake's storefront and theatre facades in the Spanish Colonial Revival Style. Built at a cost of $500,000, it opened on 09/22/1926 and ended showing films on 06/26/1991. Long vacant, the Community Redevelopment Agency of Los Angeles bought the Westlake and neighboring buildings for $10.7 million in 02/2008; it sought a buyer who would operate the auditorium as a performing arts center and others spaces as retail and affordable housing.

Los Angeles architect S. Charles Lee completed a remodeling of the Westlake's ticket booth, portions of the lobby and marquee. Its rooftop marquee was renovated in 1987.

Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument: ID n/a

PCAD id: 16507