AKA: Newmar, Hillsborough, CA; La Dolphine, Hillsborough, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Hobart, Lewis P., Architect (firm); Lewis Parsons Hobart (architect)

Dates: constructed 1912-1916

1760 Manor Drive
Hillsborough, CA 94010

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

This Beaux-Arts Style building stood on 3.36 landscaped acres in Hillsborough, CA. The French-influenced house had matching landscaping with parterres and ornamental fountains. San Francisco architect Lewis Hobart (1873-1954) designed both the residence and the gardens for George A. Newhall, Sr., (1862-1929), son of the wealthy auctioneer/land speculator Henry M. Newhall (1825–1882).

In their book The Golden Age of American Gardens, authors Mac Griswold and Eleanor Weller wrote of the Newhall House and Garden: "In 1914, when [Lewis] Hobart designed what was then called 'Newmar' for the George Newhalls, a French garden was a rarity in California. But the low French-windowed stone house was inspired by the Petit Trianon, and Hobart, following what by then had become a Beaux-Arts tradition of unity between house and garden, went on to make a brilliant French garden. The plan itself was hardly striking. A cypress-edged tapis vert extended an axial view from the entrance court; on the garden front, on the same axis, a 175-foot allee was framed using the lines of pink and white hawthorns, and terminated in a temple of love. Just below the house terrace, a wide grass parterre was strictly divided into four grass rectangles and centered with a reflecting pool. The parterre was surrounded on all four sides with nearly 100 perfectly pollarded plane trees. Outside the confines of the main view, things relaxed: a rose garden and abundant orchards lay just beyond the severe cypress hedges." (See Mac Griswold and Eleanor Weller, The Golden Age of American Gardens, [New York: Harry N. Abrams, Incorporated, 1991], p. 319.)

A swimming pool on the property had been altered in 1941 from a strictly ornamental reflecting pond.

PCAD id: 16123