AKA: First National Bank, Office Building #2, Riverside, Spokane, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - banks (buildings); built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Cutter and Poetz, Architects (firm); Kirtland Kelsey Cutter (architect); John C. Poetz Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1889-1890

West Riverside Avenue and North Howard Street
Riverside, Spokane, WA 99201

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
The 1st National Bank Building stood on the northwest corner of West Riverside Avenue and North Howard Street.

Building History

Early settler, James N. Glover, the "father of Spokane," Horace L. Cutter, architect Kirtland Cutter's uncle, and businessman F. Rockwood Moore began the 1st National Bank of Spokane in 1882. Their bank prospered becoming one of the most successful in the city between 1882-1893. Horace Cutter began to introduce Kirtland into Spokane's business community in 1886, easing the way for his nephew to attract new clients. Kirtland Cutter would design, for example, houses for Glover, Moore and his uncle between 1887-1889. The Great Spokane Fire of 08/04/1889, a blaze that obliterated 32 blocks in the city's business district, also proved something of a boon for Cutter and his new partner, John C. Poetz, Sr. The three bankers had their first offices--designed by architect Herman Preusse--in a building destroyed by flames.

They directed the commission for the second 1st National Bank to Kirtland and his new partner, John C. Poetz, Sr. Cutter and Poetz also lost their offices to the fire, as well. So satisfied were they with the 1st National Bank Building that they moved their new offices into it in 1890 according to the R.L. Polk Spokane Falls City Directory. In 1893, the Cutter and Poetz office was located on its 6th floor. The 1st National Bank Building was one of five large downtown blocks that the pair designed in 1889 alone.

PCAD id: 16007