AKA: City Light Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Bindon, Wright and Partners, Architects (firm); Decker, Christenson and Kitchin, Architects and Engineers (firm); Leonard William Bindon (architect); Waldo Barrickman Christenson (architect); Ralf Edward Decker (architect); Charles E. Kitchin Sr. (civil engineer); John LeBaron Wright (architect)

Dates: constructed 1957-1958

7 stories

Madison Street and 3rd Avenue
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98154

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

This publicly-owned utility formed during the Progressive Era, commissioned the firms of Bindon, Wright and Partners, Archtects, and Decker, Christenson and Kitchin, Architects and Engineers, to design its $3.7 million headquarters. By 02/23/1958, all of the framing had been done on the building, most of its exterior sheathing applied, and interior work had begun. Completion was set for 08/1958.

Alteration

This 7-story building originally had an International Style aesthetic, with a cubic form and window bands syncopated by vertical aluminum strips. A white box, covered in enameled white tiles housed the building's circulation spaces. This building was later refaced beyond recognition.

PCAD id: 15764