Structure Type: built works - religious structures - churches

Designers: Bradbeer, James H., Architect (firm); James H. Bradbeer (architect)

Dates: [unspecified]

West Olympic Boulevard Street and South Figueroa Street
Downtown, Los Angeles, CA 90015

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
In 1892, the Immanuel Presbyterian Church was located on the southeast corner of 10th Street and Pearl Street. Pearl was later renamed Figueroa Street and 10th Street was renamed Olympic Boulevard in 1932, in honor of the Olympic Games being held in Los Angeles.

Building History

Los Angeles architect James H. Bradbeer drew up plans for the Immanuel Presbyterian Church #1 by 07/1890. The church was listed in the Los Angeles, California, City Directory, 1892, (p. 64.) Reverend W.J. Chichester was its pastor in 1892. His residence was on the west side of Burlington Avenue near Orange Street.

In 11/1897, Hugh Kelso Walker took over as the first Pastor of the first Immanuel Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles, CA. His first sermon was delivered in early 12/1897.

PCAD id: 15473