AKA: Unico Properties, LLC, White Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - commercial buildings - stores

Designers: Howells and Stokes, Architects (firm); Metropolitan Building Company, Developers (firm); Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation, Builders (firm); Unico Properties, LLC (firm); Abraham Horace Albertson (architect); John Francis Douglas Sr. (developer); John Mead Howells (architect); Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes (architect)

Dates: constructed 1908-1909, demolished 1974

11 stories

view all images ( of 3 shown)

4th Avenue
Downtown, Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Metropolitan Tract

Building History

New York architects Howells and Stokes designed the White Building to fit within its masterplan for the Metropolitan Building Company's 10-acre Metropolitan Tract. The Stone and Webster Engineering Company of Boston constructed the building, at a cost of $610,000. Of the White-Henry-Stuart Building trio, the White Building was completed first in 1909, then the Henry later in 1909, and finally the Stuart in 1915. It was complete by mid-08/1909.

Building Notes

One of three conjoined office buildings, the White-Henry-Stuart Buildings, that occupied a prominent portion of the Metropolitan Tract, a parcel of land where the first University of Washington Campus stood, developed in the 1900s-1910s by the Metropolitan Building Company.

A number of lumber companies operated offices in the White-Henry-Stuart Building complex during the 1910s and 1920s. The Alberni Pacific Lumber Company, had an office in Room #715 of the White Building in 1918. (See R.L. Polk and Company's Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1918, p. 313.)

Alteration

Annexes were added to the White and Stuart Buildings in 1922-1923 also by Howells and Stokes. The White-Henry-Stuart Buildings all underwent a large-scale renovation in 1955.

Demolition

The White Building, along with the Hnery and Stuart Buildings were razed.

PCAD id: 15105