AKA: Exeter House Senior Living Apartments, Tower, First Hill, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses - apartment houses; built works - dwellings - housing - housing for the elderly

Designers: Graham, John and Company, Architects and Engineers (firm); John Graham Jr. (architect); John Graham Sr. (architect/engineer)

Dates: constructed 1926-1927

720 Seneca Street
First Hill, Seattle, WA 98101-2764

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Presbyterian Ministries, Incorporated (PMI), began operation of the former Exeter Hotel as a senior living apartment building on 01/03/1963. PMI bought the building for $1.4 million from Julius Newbert, who used the money to fund a ranch in Nevada. In 2009, PMI ran 2 senior living buildings in the Seattle area: Exeter House in First Hill and Park Shore in Madison Park, with another, Skyline at First Hill, projected. In 2010, the complex consisted of the 10-story apartment tower, built in 1927, and a 1-story convalescent hospital erected the year before.

Tel: 206. 622.1300 (2009). When the Presbyterian Ministry bought the building in 1963, the building had 171 units, most with kitchens and dining rooms. Average sized apartments were to be offered fro $8,750 and small ones for as low as $4,500. Monthly costs for utilities, laundry and other services (exclusive of meals) was $65. In 1987, Seattle City Light found that it had been underbilling Exeter House for its electricity costs since 1967; it therefore sent a bill for $54,523.29 which administrators refused to pay; the senior living center agreed to forward about $8,000 to pay for costs incurred over the previous two years. (See Don Duncan, "Proposal would limit back billing by utilities," Seattle Times. Seattle, WA, 02/18/1987. pg. D1.) An advertisement in the Seattle arts magazine, "The Town Crier" referred to the Exeter as "a castle of comfort in the heart of Seattle." (See "The Exeter," Town Crier, 23:50, 12/15/1928, p.1.)

The firm of John Graham and Company renovated the restaurant space in 1963, when the Presbyterian Ministries, Incorporated, took over the Exeter Hotel and turned it into a retirement facility.

PCAD id: 14428