AKA: University Village Shopping Center, Lamont's Department Store, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - department stores; built works - commercial buildings - shopping centers

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1956

view all images ( of 1 shown)

25th Avenue NE and NE 45th Street
University District, Seattle, WA 98105

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

This Rhodes Department Store was the first "anchor tenant" at the University Village Shopping Center, opening on 08/30/1956. At this time, University Village consisted of two, long, one-story rows of shops and the larger Rhodes store. A Ray's Grocery Store had a site just off 25th Avenue NE, to the west of the two lower store complexes. University Village had several service stations lining its southern and western frontages, including stations for Texaco, Standard, and Shell, among others.

Alteration

The Rhodes Department Store was altered to become a Lamont's in 03/1970. It was subsequently occupied by a Pay-and-Save Store, and by Gap, Barnes and Noble, and Eddie Bauer outlets after 2000.

PCAD id: 14303