AKA: Snoqualmie Hall, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA; Plummer, Charles, Hall, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - assembly halls

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1853, demolished 1866

2 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

97 South Main Street
Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

This Greek Revival, gable-front building housed a one-story store owned by Charles Plummer from 1853-1858. In the latter year, Plummer added a second story to his store, and created a rudimentary auditorium. It was in this space, that Seattle's first dramatic productions were held. According to historian Paul Dorpat, Plummer's Hall was located on the southwest corner of Commercial Street (later 1st Avenue South) and Main Street, now occupied by the Winehill Building and the Bread of Life Mission, at 97 South Main Street.

Building Notes

Seattle's first performance of "high drama," was thought to have occurred in Charles Plummer's Hall in 04/1864, when Edith Mitchell recited Shakespeare before an audience. (See Eric L. Flom, Silent Stars on the Stages of Seattle, [Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company, Incorporated, 2009], p. 15,)

In the absence of a dedicated facility, the Washington Territorial District Court in King County met at Snolqualmie Hall in Seattle, WA, between 1859-1866. The building stood at the intersection of Commercial Street (1st Avenue South) and Main Street.


A second story was added by Charles Plummer (d. 1866) to contain an auditorium. Plummer and Hinds operated the first floor as a dry goods, grocery and hardware store. It served as the main Seattle stage during the period 1859-1866, and a meeting spot for the city's early fraternal organizations. It replaced Henry Yesler's Sawmill Cookhouse, a multipurpose facility that acted as the primary civic meeting hall in Seattle, WA, between 1852-1859. Plummer's Hall had a Greek Revival exterior. It featured a gable-front composition with simplified Doric pilasters creating a rudimentary colonnade.


Plummer's Hall was razed in 1866.

PCAD id: 14287